Saturday, June 21, 2008

get it?

Let me make one thing abundantly clear. I am a cyclist. When I go to a friends house for a wee social, if they live in the city, I will probably arrive on my bike. It seems silly to me to drive, especially if I can nip across the weir (bikes only) and get there in a few minutes, rather than driving the long way around via the main bridges and actually taking a longer time in the car. Never mind the use of fuel and the fact that I can have a wine or three and toddle home much more safely on a bike.

So I just do not get the current ‘high price of gas’ debate. I have no patience for the argument that the government should make gas cheaper. I am tired of the notion that people who drive need to continue to do so, no matter what. That we need new fuel technologies to keep individual vehicles on the road. That electric cars are the answer.

I want to live in a city where the roads are not clogged with individuals piloting high speed killing machines. I want the whole developed world to slow down. Wouldn’t it be lovely if we didn’t accept that it is just normal for people to die on our roads every day. Because we need to hurry. Because that is normal.

Love life. Find an alternative to driving.

No comments: