Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Irreconcilable differences


I gave back the Myka. I wasn’t planning to, but I was in the bike shop the other day and the owner asked me how I was enjoying the bike, and I had to confess that I had only ridden it once and had suffered a crisis of confidence because I felt it was too big for me. “Bring it back, we want you to be happy with your bikes”. So BOAB washed it so it was perfect again and we drove it (drove it!) to the shop.

Now people ask me all the time about buying a bike, and my advice is always the same. Find a bikeshop you like and buy a bike from them. All good bikes are just that, and the prices and ranges are pretty similar, but your relationship with the proprietor and staff is priceless.

I really like three of the current bike shops, but Top Brand Cycles was the best (for me) of the lot a few years ago and I am a loyal customer. And now my loyalty will pay off with a 2009 model Specialized WSD mountain bike which Mike saw on his last industry trip and recognized as being much more my size, as in “lower to the ground”. So I am happy and relieved, because I felt really guilty about failing to bond with the new bike. Now it can go live with a taller and/or braver lady who will ride it lots, and I will refrain from tricking out the old hard tail with “utility bits” until I have a new trail rider.

A very happy 55+kms today. I wish I had more hours to ride. I could get some serious time in from 5 am til 9 I suppose, but it is so cold right now it is hard to get going. And this morning the winds were gusting to 35kms/hr and we stayed in bed. Tomorrow should be better (I hope!)

4 comments:

Bluenoser said...

Hey let me be the first to say I like the new header picture. I'm glad you have such a great shop. I do also. Al at the Lunenburg Bike Barn is the greatest.

Glad to read about the new bike. What does BOAB stand for?

-B

Dee said...

Bloke on a Bike. He is my long suffering spouse of 26++ years and best friend. I have linked his blog in my list 'o blogs.

The header is the bike path near the end of my street. Why most people commute to the university by car when they could cycle by the river is an enduring mystery.

Dee said...

Oh! Forgot to mention that Lunenburg Bike Barn is on my 'must do' list for next year. I really want one of their jerseys!

Bluenoser said...

Al will be glad to hear that I'm down there today for some new water bottles.

-B