Thursday, July 24, 2008

Proper winter


It is over. The rain has cleared, and the sun actually came out this afternoon. It is bad enough that winter is cold (well, relatively speaking) but when it is cold and wet the good citizens of Townsville hardly know what to do with themselves. It was still fresh, windy as anything and cloudy when I came home from work, but I was moved to take the long way home and it was really lovely. I don't recall ever seeing the Weirs running in winter. Delightful.
Angus Smith Drive has become a sea of potholes from 2 days rain. Who builds these roads and to what standards? I was on my hard tail mountain bike, so what the hey, but it was a bit un-nerving to see motorists become airborn because they absolutely had to drive the 80km/hr limit. What complete idiots. I must get onto the council about that speed limit.
And the sun broke through, as I turned towards home the wind was less in my face (it is seldom fully at my back) and it was all good. I got home with enough daylight to spare to wash the road bike and the hard tail, and clean and grease up the chains. Tomorrow should be a cold start, but a sunny day. I have to get to a meeting in the city, so I should be able to get a good total for the day.
Next week boab and I are on leave from work, and we are both wiggling our eyebrows at each other with plans to RIDE. My sister is visiting from Nova Scotia, so she gets the car and we will meet her at the tourist spots. I may even take my first run up the Paluma range... the mind boggles at the possibilities.

No comments: