Friday, August 15, 2008

playing catch up

To my legions of fans, sorry I have been away. I got back from Cairns and got some good rides in over the weekend, but I realize now that I was utterly spent. Lucky for me my sister from Nova Scotia arrived on Sunday for the final leg of her visit, and I was forced to do some down time. I really needed it.

We did therapeutic shopping. I don’t usually find shopping anything but horrible, but it is great fun in the right company. And it was the sort of shopping I have been putting off for years, the final bits of furniture and rugs. So that is all sorted – hopefully for decades.

Then we bought a few plants, and had a couple of days of just puttering in the garden. Making things tidy, and artfully arranging plants and pots and stones. I planted flower seeds and repotted some things. Fertilised shrubs. A bit of pruning. Lots of tea breaks.

My only regret is that our time together doing nothing much was so short. It is the best kind of catch up you can have, and I would have loved another week of it, but we have busy lives and we have both taken a chunk of time off work and need to get back. And that is sad because we really get along fabulously and should get together more often.

I’ll be heading to NS next summer, and I hope we get some downtime in her garden. It is the best place to rest, recover and catch up.

No comments: