Monday, October 6, 2008

best laid plans

We packed it up Friday and headed to Paluma. I had been cycling easy all week in preparation for a big effort. We arrived in pouring rain, hey it is the rainforest. Put the tent up in the undercover area, cooked dinner, had a few wines, friends rolled up, early to bed for a big ride in the morning.

And it rained, hard, all night. Now Townsville is in a rain shadow, so we don’t get a lot of the stuff. So I can’t sleep when it is raining, it seems too – significant – somehow. In the morning it was raining and everyone was just enjoying the morning. Second cups of coffee, healthy breakfasts. More rain.

Mid morning it suddenly cleared and since we were out on the other side of the campground walking around, it seemed sensible to just keep walking. We went the 3 or 4 kms to Benham’s Creek with me lamenting we were not on our bikes, but it was good. The problem was the others brought road bikes, with the intention of going down, then back up the range (40 kms of struggle in my opinion) where as BoaB and I had brought mountain bike with the intention of getting really dirty.

Then the rain closed in and the cycling trip turned into a camping trip.

It was nice. But then I finally had to break ranks and go for a burn. It was just excellent. I have gained a lot of confidence in the last year, the MTB “chicks at speed” bike handling course helped a lot with that. So I had a fabulous burn with some very labored soft muddy hill climbs (ok, I had to push a bike a few times), but it was excellent. And at least I got my hard tail good and dirty on what is probably its last run. Yep, the 2009 Myka is in the shop, built and ready to go. BOAB has actually seen it. Can’t wait to get it dirty, we may have to travel back up the range.

1 comment:

Bluenoser said...

A hard tail, so that's what they call it now.

-B