Sunday, October 19, 2008

Spring reflections

Spring lingers. It is really nice, big winds are whipping the branches and flapping the wall hanging behind me. We are very lucky to have a well designed house for the tropics. It is a high house, so it is like living on the second story with nothing underneath. This is great if you have a lot of bikes and associated ‘stuff’. Under the house is always cool and dim, and a great place to putter away days that are too hot for gardening. The high living area catches every breeze and is wide open to shady verandahs. Birds occasionally fly though. Insects are a part of life. I love it when we have company and a huge rhinoceros beetle joins us.

Morning cycling could not be better. It is not too cool, not to warm. Absolutely perfect. The wind has been a bit challenging, but I like that. There is always going to be a stretch with the wind at your back, so it is worth struggling on. I had a seminar to attend in the city on Friday morning. Very interesting sustainability talks, looking at Cuba as a case study for post peak oil and post economic meltdown. They have been there and done what the rest of us are denying will ever happen. Typically I was the only attendee to rack up on a bike. Bloody subversive. I did some powerful schmoozing and secured a signed promise for a CBD ride to work day breakfast for 2009. Yay!

Heading towards home I had wind tunnel conditions to the port, then the turn for my inland suburb and I just flew. I don’t often get to hold a few kms of 37 km/hr. What a joy. People must think I am insane because I grin with delight so often when I am cycling. You don’t see too many people driving cars who look like they are having the time of their lives, but drivers will talk to me at red lights to find out what I am up too. “…are you training?” Yes I answer, I am training to get faster and go further. “why?” Because I can.

I have stashed the camera in some secure but not obvious location, so I will have to put up some Ride to Work day images tomorrow. James Cook University had 70 registrants, with nearly 40 of those showing up for breakfast. The Pro Vice Chancellor Research, Andy Vann, shouted breakfast. He actually showed up on his bike and joined in. I sheepishly handed him a breakfast voucher. It was green, and sported a picture of him I had nicked from a web page. I really didn’t expect senior management to show up. He took it in very good humour.

So the next big thing is the Spatial Science Institute conference I am organizing for Friday. Then I can finalise a major mapping project and start the next one. I have a trainee arriving from Germany ‘soon’, but she hasn’t told me when. And I have 3 more weeks of intense physical training. I am getting stronger! My time around the loop (3 km) is down to 5 minutes, 31 seconds. I am hoping to shave off 5 more seconds this week. But if the wind holds up, I am doomed.

Here’s to a full life. Work is nuts, but all I am worried about is cycling. Priorities and all that.

5 comments:

Bluenoser said...

JCU, PVC, I'm just an old fashion Nova Scotia guy. I don't know what that means but I do know that mapmakers have to put a lot of info in a small space so maybe you can enlighten me. :-)

-B

Dee said...

Fair enough. I have spelled out all the acronyms. I tend to forget there are people besides my family who read the blog!

Bluenoser said...

Thanks Dee.

-B

Mike J said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike J said...

I just ran across your blog. It's nice. I wish it was spring where I live. The wet winter drip is just setting in here.

Mike
www.mikeonhisbike.blogspot.com