Wednesday, December 10, 2008

wet season

I like the wet season, but there are some downsides. The bikeway is a mess. I nearly lost control coming home because two oncoming mountain bike riders forced me to hold my line into a patch of inch deep soft sand. I guess they don't know that a road bike is a different beast altogether. I let out a yell as I fought to stay upright, and to my amazement I did stay upright. I was uber cautious for the rest of the ride. There is a lot of sediment washed onto the bikeway in several places. I stopped and got a number to call from one of the friendly council workers, so I will be on them tomorrow.

It is nice to be settling back into something approaching a normal routine. I am getting more rainmanish as time passes, and I just want to ride my daily route and listen to my ipod. I have had bike setup issues lately, and it is good to be able to make an adjustment, do the usual commute, feel the result and plan the next adjustment.

A decent run to the dam before work. Yes it is hot (I think it was 28 when I left at 7am) but I quite like it. I do have to drink more, and remind myself to drink all day too. Soon school will be out and the bikeways and roads will be more quiet. Summer bliss.

2 comments:

Bluenoser said...

Dee,

Your first taste of cyclocross. Also was BoaB on the offshore rigs in the early eighties??

-B

Dee said...

For anyone reading the comments, a conversation ensued by email today and yes BoaB worked on the Rowan Juneau from 1980-1987 off Sable Island, and yes they both know Ricky Pelham, and probably a lot of other people too. Beer will be drunk and the past dissected when we cycle Nova Scotia in 2009.

As for my close encounter with cyclocross, I am not the type. My brain has engaged with cycling, but my body is way behind.