Thursday, February 26, 2009

checking in

I am heeeere! I just flew in from Cairns, where I have been making maps in a mad frenzy. 10 1:50,000 sheets in press, 10 more ready for press, six to go for the next 10. I am utterly spent, non-cartographers can't imagine the levels of concentration it takes to make a map perfect and press ready, and fair enough.  I assure you that perfection costs.

 I really enjoy working on this project. I figure it is the culmination of my long career in thematic cartography and scientific communication. I have never enjoyed a more cohesive and close knit team than me, Mike, Karsten and Ellen. A global effort, we have jelled into the sort of marriage that communicates volumes with a few grunts. I love these guys.

 We get the first 10 sheets in glorious, water resistant hard copy next week. To be a part of mapping history, order your copies of the Vegetation of the Wet Tropics Bioregion right here. They are stunning and I am very proud, only 34 sheets to go! 

2 comments:

Ant said...

Dee, sounds like an awesome project. I'd be super-interested in getting a copy of those maps, would make a great present for my bio-nerd Nth Qld girlfriend.

More info?

Bluenoser said...

I love maps... they lead you to treasure.

-B