Thursday, July 23, 2009

back to normal

Tomorrow is my trainee Katrin's last day at work. I feel so sad, she is one of the best cartographers I have mentored for a long time. I get one (or two or three) trainees from Germany every year. I am very popular because I have a busy and dynamic workplace next to the Great Barrier Reef and Tropical Rainforest. Actually, I am really popular because I give my trainees very challenging work, good training, a bicycle and support when they return and start their thesis. OK, and I live in paradise.

I am a bit stressed thinking of how I will cope without a talented sidekick. My job is bigger than me, but really, I don't owe the University the slave labour that has kept the cartography centre going for the last 10 years. Maybe we need two Cartographers.

I am going to the International Cartographic Association week long Symposium on 3D Cartography in a few weeks, in Dresden, where a lot of my trainees have come from. I am hoping to see some of the 13? (I have lost track!) trainees I have hosted in the last 10 years. It will be very special. Hopefully I will meet next years trainee(s). I do love mentoring talented young people. I am just so lucky.

2 comments:

Bluenoser said...

It's all about learning and leaving your knowledge behind with others Dee.

Sounds like you've been blessed that way.

-B

chrisp said...

I can confirm! My internship at Adella's place was one of the best things I did! Greetings from Munich! Christian