Tuesday, August 18, 2009

absolutely fabulous darling



World travel, hanging out with the beautiful people. It is so broadening.
You can keep your palaces and movie stars, I have had one of the best rides of my life around the 50K Loop with the Bluenoser himself. Riding supported by a local, lavishly catered and with good conversation the whole way.

I am not sure what Bikes Gone Wild has done with California, but Bluenoser has spiffed up the Loop with perfect weather, smooth new bitumen, hills that are just the right size and the obligitory roadside porcupine remains for your perusal.

Stunning views. Cool sea breezes. Thanks to my Brother-in-law for making us a 'group' .

Thanks to the Bluenoser for sprucing the place up.

Thanks too for the spread, which included the first Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale I have tasted in decades. It was delicious, and a kind of carb loading/recovery combo I hadn't tried before. It was all the better because it had a story to go with it.

I liked the local wildlife very much.
The restaurant had top views. I have never seen clearer water in the Maritimes.


And I met the beast that will travel across the wilds of North America

I have done the loop, but only for the first time.


Special thanks to Freewheeling Adventures for the rental of a bike that was the perfect fit, fast and light. I will be chasing up the possibility of buying it at the end of the tourist season, it was just fabby. Check them out for a fabulous tour or just a rental. They must have looked up the Townsville Cycling Club so the paint job would match my kit. ; ) Spif!

6 comments:

Bluenoser said...

That Dee, was a real treat for me. Especially after not being out on the bike for awhile.

Thanks for you and your Brother in law sharing my day off.

-B

Dee said...

It was a highlight, thanks for making it so.

bikesgonewild said...

...nice, folks...i doff my cycling cap to you both...

...it's a very cool thing when people who communicate by way of the internet as part of the cycling community & who live in such disparate locales, get the opportunity to come together & do what we all love so much...just simply ride...
...here, it's made more poignant what w/ you, dee, being a displaced native...

...& w/out reiterating, blue knows from one of my first posts on his site, that nova scotia is very near & dear to my heart...so, thanks for sharing...

Lily on the Road said...

So glad you had a great visit "home" and you were able to ride the Loop. Sorry to have missed you only by a few days or a week, maybe another time the tides will bring us all together to ride with Bluenoser....


oh, the wordver is partie, go figure!!!

Dee said...

to Lily: Parti! Well I did a bit of that too while I was home. Maybe we can organise a mega 50K Loop get together, rent out Bluenosers boss's whole operation, grant the Bluenoser time off for good behaviour and epic bike riding, and all get stuck into his chores together so he doesn't get in trouble. I am an experienced public toilet scrubber myself, and I can pull the weeds and recognise the good stuff to leave behind.

Dee said...

Bikes: I figured that the Bluenoser was a safe port in the creepy storm that is the internet, and I was spot on. Of course, the fact that we know a whole swag of people in common made it easy to know he is, as we say, "a fair dinkum bloke".

The Bluenoser is most welcome to stay here if he comes down under. We can buy a couple of mud crabs and set them free at the end of my street! He'll love it!