Thursday, August 20, 2009

come on home








Nova Scotians are very parochial and proud. I grew up with lots of summer advertisements begging our wayward children home for a visit, so it seems natural to do as I am told and come home. And there is a lot to celebrate about being a Nova Scotian. We are just so nice. The people in the shops are so helpful, the drivers on the roads are so kind. If you look like you are even contemplating crossing the street, traffic grinds to a halt so you can pass. Food is served in generous proportions. Everyone is so polite. I admit that I miss that.

I am enjoying the ‘dog days’ of summer. It is so hot even I have broken a sweat. The haze is thick, America’s gift to the Maritimes has ever been her smog. I have stopped the recession in it’s tracks with a shopping spree which is totally out of character. I will be looking unnaturally well dressed upon my return to work.




I have dined on local produce, basked in the presence of my parents, laughed with my best friends. I should have stayed a lot longer than a week, but with work, research, commitments, I couldn’t. Leaving hurts just as bad after a month, a year, as it does after a short week. I will be back soon, I promise, to this beautiful, harsh place.

Thanks to my family for putting up with me, to Truro for keeping a downtown with heart and style. Thanks for home for staying pretty much the same.

3 comments:

Groover said...

That salad looks awesome and the lobster, too. Enjoy your holiday and say hi to Bluenoser, should you catch up with him again.

Dee said...

The salad will be recreated for Christmas parties where you bring a plate. It is just english spinach, sliced mushrooms, thinly sliced red onion and fresh blueberries, topped with a poppyseed dressing which was very thick. I have some blueberry vinegar which I will use with oil and poppyseeds to make a very blueberry, thin dressing. Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery and all that.

Dee said...

Oh! I forgot the pecans, but they were pretty obvious when you look at the photo. They were raw, but toasted would be nice too. Canadians would be shocked at how cheap they are here!