Saturday, October 31, 2009

Banana baked goods


So far I have baked 2 dozen large muffins, a banana slice with sticky lime glaze, two banana cakes and best of all, my own invention - banana cycling bars. I am now in the habit of eating about a half dozen bananas a day. Now don't panic, they are the small, dense ladyfinger variety, so that is like 3 normal bananas. I use 6 to 8 per recipe, and as time goes on I have pushed the boundaries of just how much banana you can jam in a cake of muffin. All results so far are excellent!

For posterity I am posting the bar recipe, because I made it up as I went and it is really good, I'll be baking another batch or two tomorrow. It looks a bit freeform because the correct size pan is still at a friends house (where it was delivered full of the slice, still warm). I am not actually big on sweets, so I like the bars because they are way less sweet than commercial muesli bars, and zero fat too!

banana cycling bars

1 cup quick rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup whole meal flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup chopped dates

1 1/2 cups or so mashed bananas
2 beaten eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Mix the dry stuff, dump in the wet stuff, beat with a spoon til all blended. Bake about 25 minutes in a 9x12 inch pan lined with baking paper. Turn out onto a cooling tray.

Cool, cut into nice big bars, bung them into little zip lock bags and freeze. It takes me about a half hour to get to the dam, by which time a bar will have thawed and be ready for breakfast. I am a true miser and greenie, so the little zip lock bag will come home, get washed, hung on the handle of a knife in the knife block, and neatly put away to do service about another 100 times.

Tomorrow I have one more hand of 16 bananas to get through. That should do pancakes, a batch of bars (with sunflower seeds and pepitas this time) and yet another cake. And then the freezer is full and I am done.

3 comments:

Theresa said...

Your bars sound great! I used up the last of my bananas today in 'banana split pudding brownies' but still have a bunch in the freezer to use. A hint for jamming even more banana into baked goods--vegans use mashed banana as an egg replacer all the time, so you can get one more lady finger squeezed in, in place of each egg.

Lily on the Road said...

Thanks for the recipes Dee, I'll get right at it...

Get better soon.

Dee said...

I wondered how vegans baked without egg! What good advice, I'll be using it today since I am nearly out of eggs and I don't buy them in stores, I order them from a co-worker who raises her chooks with love and cuddles.