Sunday, October 11, 2009

gutted - sorry Groover

I was so sad to read Groover's last Blog. At least I think it was a blog, because it showed up this afternoon in my Google Reader, but it isn't on her blog site, so I don't know.

The basic story is that the mean streets of Brisbane have caused her some heartache, and I feel so sorry. I am not sure who has been here longer, Sandra or me, but I feel a terrible cringe over the events that have transpired, and I want to apologise on behalf of all the Queenslanders who are worth sharing the road with.

Maybe it is because I am so obviously a small, ageing female, I don't cop that much abuse. Indeed, I have had many positive encounters with drivers. Maybe it is hotter up here, and there are more open windows. I have had conversations at red lights, encouragement from rev heads (I think "Go! Tour de France!) is encouragement, and several people have given way to me in round a bouts, which is several more than I expected.

I am astounded that a young male could come up behind Groover on her bike and not pause to appreciate her finer qualities, even if it was a bit dark! What a looser.

Anyway, I just wanted you to know that you should remain positive. Be of good cheer. Choose your roads carefully. Feel hope for us as a society.

You have to believe, but sometimes it is hard.

4 comments:

Bluenoser said...

It's not only Australia Dee. I took quite a beating a few years back on the way to a time trial on the quiet back roads of Mahone Bay.

Started with a beer bottle bouncing off my back, thrown from a passing car and then just got ugly from there.

I learned a whole lot from it. From the laws to the way I dress when I ride now.

email me we'll talk about it.

-B

Bluenoser said...

That should read... to the laws of the road, to the way I dress when I ride now.

-B

Bluenoser said...

It's a long story and as I said gets quite nasty.

The Townsville jersey is now starting to fit quite well for Cross season I'm down to 185 now.

-B

Lily on the Road said...

Dee, I'm just really starting into cycling, I learned a lot from you, Blue and Groover. As well, the accident this summer here in Ottawa has really made our cycling community on edge.

Stay safe...