Saturday, October 3, 2009

A pox on Magda and Jenny Craig

image from the soapbox

While I was away and only had time to watch the real news on TV, you know, floods, a wee tsunami and an earthquake, death and suffering, I was surprised to come home to the blogosphere and to the outrage over Magda and a bad joke. It is all about us, isn't it?

So I have had a good read of what was said and how people felt, and offer this useful compendium of responses:

I would like to thank Groover for the most thoughtful and probably (sadly) true response.

The best practical suggestion comes from Commie Canuck as a comment to the Bike Snob. I shall have to cut and paste here because you can only hyperlink to the full thread:
"You know what pisses me off? Fat BBWs on TV with fake accents staring at my lycra ass. We should all surround her house at 4am and do this." Count me in.

The mysterious bikesgonewild lashes out with what we all really feel, but are too polite to cut and paste onto our blogs. You'll just have to scroll down the comments on the Bike Snob link above. On ya bikes.

Finally, thanks to Ant for a cycling joke that really is funny, just to put things into perspective.

I hope Magda does get a new bike, and starts riding a lot, and gets really thin, and lives in fear of getting doored, just like the rest of us.


2 comments:

Groover said...

Thanks for the mention and 'media watch' summary. I hadn't seen BSNYC's post.

Dee said...

Now it seems Magda will do "Ride to Work Day" in lycra. I hope it is well televised and I don't expect to ever suffer a negative comment about how real cyclists look in lycra ever again.