Friday, November 13, 2009

a week for mapping


I’ll be joining bloggers around the Web for the 2009 Geography Awareness Week Blog-a-thon, hosted by National Geographic’s My Wonderful World Campaign. Tune in to the My Wonderful World Blog November 15-21 for a daily dose of geographic news and jottings, photos, calls to action, a mystery location quiz, and more…

My official blog will go up Monday morning my time. It will be the first of several rambles about making maps using scientific data, very little of which is developed with mapping in mind. GIS systems (Geographic Information Systems) have spoiled users a bit, because they can colour up the map any old way, and always get a look at the detailed data by clicking on a feature and getting the full attributes.

But GIS isn't for everyone, and I for one find online GIS to be clunky and offputting. In my years of working with people in schools and the community I have observed that they feel the same way. Can you make a map that delivers all the goods, and looks good too?

stay tuned for Monday.

On my bike til then, should be a good weekend to ride.

2 comments:

Theresa said...

Thanks for the mapping that you've done with the Townsville bike paths :)

I'm no cartographer, but I've always been attracted to maps. I can spend ages looking at them, regardless of what they are showing.

Bluenoser said...

I think you know how I feel about maps Dee.

-B