Sunday, December 20, 2009

being your best

I got a great chuckle last week reading the comments from a guy who won a bike from the Fat Cyclist, that he was "the fastest 42 year old cyclist on his street", or words to that effect. I have thought about that quite a bit. It was a very funny line, but it also gave me a reminder of where I sit.

I am probably the slowest D grade racer in Townsville, but I have yet to prove that. I am looking forward to bravely having a go.

I am in about the best shape I have ever been in, ever. My butt is as shapely as when I was 20, maybe better. I think I may be the fastest 50 year old female cyclist on my street, but there is a runner at the end of the street I haven't ridden with, and you know what runners are like... maybe she is a bit more than 50...

So I am looking forward to being my best in 2010. I am not sure how my best stacks up against other people, but then I have never been competitive anyway. I'm shooting for a big number in 2010 for mileage, but I have to be realistic about it. Dare I dream of 15,000 kms?

With that in mind I would like to thank Mark D. Pankin, whom I have never met, but who created the spreadsheet for my mileage, and turned me into a demented kilometer hound. You can get one too, the 2010 version is now available at: http://www.pankin.com/miles.htm

I am really grateful that he does this, because I am not an excel guru. Merry Christmas Mark and thanks for the nice gift of another year spread out as a blank slate, just waiting for the numbers. I'll try and keep them big.

6 comments:

Bluenoser said...

Owwwww.... very interesting.

-B

Theresa said...

I like this post! I am such a non-competitive person, but I like taking stock of where I am in comparison to myself. Have a great christmas!!

Dee said...

Thanks Theresa, have a nice break while the Uni is locked down.

Blue; Owwww indeed, I only did about 54 km today and my calves are killin' me. I may have to settle for 12,000, but hopeful for 13,000.

Once Known as The Badger said...

Good luck on the mileage accumulation! When I look back on my spreadsheet, which only has the last 20 years in it, I can remember every one of my rides and still I look forward to the next one.

Dee said...

Thanks, I am inspired by you and your riding. I have only been 'serious' about riding for 2 years, if serious means you are in love. When I am old, it will be nice to have these logs to focus the memories. Now to get out there and create! ....and thanks for your photos, florals are my favorite.

Dee said...

doh! I just looked at these comments and it sounds like I think the 'former Badger' is old! Not! I mean when we are all in our rocking chairs a few decades in the future!! Sorry 'Once was a Badger'!