Friday, December 4, 2009

time and space

I am pretty spatially aware. It comes with the territory of being a mapper for (dare I say it) almost 30 years. I know where I am, I know where north is (unless I am in a mall, where I am lost and confused). I know how far, but I don't have a handle on time.

Alberto has assumed that my careful log of distance has an associated log of time, but I confess I don't know about time. When I cycle, I enter a space/time continuum which consists of music=rhythm=distance. time=null. I am a distance person. There is no time. People always ask me "how long does it take" to do one of my regular rides. Until I started training, I had no idea. No time at all, really. You head out, find a groove, arrive at the end of the line, turn back, go to work. A half hour? An hour? Time is a convoluted thing. If you are in the groove it takes like, 15 minutes. If it is a suffer fest it takes a bit longer. If you arrive at work quite late, it is an eternal mystery.

Imagine my surprise that I am cycling hours, really! I had no idea, no wonder my legs are tired.

So I am a bit turned off training. I don't know if I am ready for time. I just want the perfect elongation of now, a ride measured only in effort and the pleasure of working the machine. Why deny yourself the drop into a black hole that is the perfect 30kms that lasted 10 minutes. Then you come through the wrinkle in time that is cycling and find yourself at the uni, blinking in surprise. What could be more perfect? What else is there? Who cares how long?

1 comment:

Groover said...

I never thought of it that way. That's even better than the notion of trying to be faster all the time. No need to go faster to arrive sooner when the ride is the destination. Food for thought?

However, time IS important when you are training so keep track of the length of those precious moments. ;-)