Friday, January 29, 2010

funky town

OK, it has been raining about a week now. I have cycled to work every day, but with an eye to safety I haven;t done a lot extra because sharing the roads with motorists in the rain is just a really bad idea.

When I got home today I was forced to do something that is a big chore, but couldn't be put off. I wear the same knapsack every day, and I have for a few years now. Usually is is covered in salt stains but otherwise it is OK. After a week of being soaking wet, I can't bear it any longer. I can't quite describe the odor, probably just as well. It took ages to empty all the little hidy holes and pockets within pockets. I found a musli bar, gu packet and a ketchup packet that may date back years. It is now soaking in hot water, nappy san and bleach. If that ruins it so be it.

Worse, my helmet, my gorgeous, iconic, yellow MET is mouldering away and getting very strange. I will give it a hot shampoo, but I need to buy a hair drier or it will never dry out.

I am getting through two pairs of socks, two bras and now two jerseys every day. I should probably pack dry knicks too, but that just seems excessive. I have been wearing an old pair of volleys on the flat pedals of my utility bike, and they are now an evil shade of brown, and hunks of rubber are falling off them. And they smell.... funky.

6 comments:

Groover said...

I remember those weeks when we still lived in Cairns when even the fridge started to look mouldy from the outside. Happy times. Good on ya for riding anyway. You'll be my inspiration in the upcoming days. The weather forecast predicts rain all weekend and next week.

Dee said...

I hope it tops up some dams, ours is now level full and will overflow by the end of the day.

Safety first, I have hardly gone near a road all week. From the bikeway I can hear never ending sirens responding to prangs. It isn't safe out there when it is raining. Be careful.

Bluenoser said...

What's a prang in bluenoser Dee?

-B

Theresa said...

I have a cheapo hairdryer if you want to borrow and give your stuff a blast -- like your backpack, if it gets ruined, eh, who cares...

Dee said...

Sunday was so nice my backpack dried, but thanks Teresa!

Bluenoser: prang = car hitting car, or pole, or tree, and getting dented. It is always the car's fault (a car left the road, a truck flipped over) and the drivers are mystified as to why it happened.

紅包 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.