Saturday, January 9, 2010

heros

There are probably several women in Townsville who are littler than me, but not a great number. One of them is my hero, Ruth Corset:

Corset digs deep for national road title
ROGER VAUGHAN
January 9, 2010 - 7:04PM
AAP

Queensland mother of two Ruth Corset overcame illness and tough conditions on Saturday to win her first Australian open road cycling championship.

The 32-year-old went one better than last year's result, breaking clear on the last lap to take out the women's road race at the Australian road titles.

Corset was vomiting and cramping late in the 102km event on the testing 10km circuit at Buninyong, near Ballarat.

Only 29 of the 71 starters finished the women's road race as temperatures hit the mid-30s and strong winds also buffeted the race, while the men's under-23 road race earlier in the day had 30 finishers from 106 starters.

"I've just been wanting this more than anything," said Corset, who was second in 2009 behind Carla Ryan.

"It was very, very hard, tough conditions - I'm from Townsville and it's quite humid there, I'm not used to the dry heat.

"The last few laps I was throwing up, I couldn't hold anything down and that last lap was so hard, my legs were cramping, I just gritted my teeth and went for it."

Corset's husband Jason and her daughters Stephanie, seven, and Caitlin, five, were at the finish.


I probably don't have the guts to even try to do what she does, but I am glad she is out there as a role model for me, and more importantly, her daughters. What a star. Well done Ruth, best of luck in 2010.

2 comments:

Groover said...

I still remember when she won that C-Grade criterium in that Tour de Tablelands a few year ago ... outright ... against all the guys as the ONLY girl in that grade! I was so impressed! Well done, Ruth!

Bluenoser said...

Shit.

Really big thumbs up on that one!

-B