Monday, February 22, 2010

thanks for caring

The winter Olympics in the swelter of Australian summer is always a bit strange. I haven't really been watching, I just catch up in the online media. So I loved this headline in the Brisbane Times this morning:
Who would have known that the Aussies got the intense rivalry between Canada and the US.

Well it is hard to be cross with a team that refers to their last victory over Canada as "the miracle on ice", and was celebrating the last time they won in 1960 by wearing a jersey that was nearly the same. I am sure the home crowd was gutted, and will be out in force to urge their team on to the finals, Russia willing.

Hockey, it is so much more than a sport in Canada, trust me.

5 comments:

Bluenoser said...

It's not the first time Dee... It's not the first time. Teamwork beats stars every time.

-B

Once Known as The Badger said...

I was rooting for the Canadians!

Dee said...

I actually have more interest when things don't follow a formula. Good on the Yanks.

Groover said...

Thanks for explaining. Believe it or not, I did ask the question last night: What's this with all the twitter comments and everybody seeming so devastated about the US beating Canada? :-)

I watched quite a bit of the winter Olympics this year with my parents here and my Dad very interested. I don't recall watching it four years ago or in fact since I'm in Australia. I find it amazing that Australians do well in winter sports. Not the country you commonly associate with winter sports. LOL

Theresa said...

My undergrad uni was 10 minutes from Canada and we were a hockey-mad school, so I get it. Hockey is life. In fact, some of the people I went to uni with were on both US and Canadian teams, so that would have been interesting! But I agree, watching skiing and skating and hockey when I'm sweltering is just weird.