Wednesday, March 10, 2010

flavor of the week

I am absolutely flat out at work, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. A good thing to because I am the President of the JCU BUG (James Cook University Bicycle Users Group) and suddenly we are the flavor of the week.

Being the rather forthright individual I am, I spoke up at a recent School meeting with our Vice Chancellor. She was talking about improving the student mall by tearing down a structure. I pointed out (that as BUG Pres) I would rather see redundant buildings made into end of ride facilities. So now the VC knows there is a BUG and she has tapped some senior people on the shoulder to work with us, and so the meetings flow on. I had lunch with the new Environment Officer today. I received phone calls and correspondence about cycling throughout the day.

I had an impromptu meeting with my local City Councillor on the bikeway on the way home. The Council wants to work with us on some green projects focussed on cycling, am I in? You bet!

My senior Admin has discovered sustainability, and cycling is the easy fix to so many ills. The City wants to grow cycling too. Our AGM is next Friday and I hope I can stay Pres, because there is a lot to do and I am excited to be a part of it.

We can change the world you know. Really.

1 comment:

Theresa said...

This is great news. The VC is such a busy person, so to catch her eye is A Big Deal. Great work, Dee.