Sunday, March 7, 2010

learning curve

The TTT was a good learning experience. We learned the we are a lot faster than we estimated. It was one of those TTs where everyone removes all timing and measuring devices, guesses how fast their team will do the 20kms, and then tries to make that time.

I was very sure we would come in sub 40 minutes regardless of my poor form and Al's niggling injury, but they wanted to play the 'guess slow and roll easy' strategy. The winners would be closest to time, not fastest. This would have worked just fine, except that it is impossible to 'roll easy' when you are in a race, even if that is what you said you would do. We should have been freewheeling across the finish line instead of ending in a bunch sprint. Doh. It is hard to act like an adult sometimes.

So we came SML (stone motherless last) in both race time and time off the estimated time. The good news is that when you are doing a race for a laugh and a bit of training, you can enjoy the hilarity of such a huge stuff up.

As predicted, it was bloody hot out there, but I saw a Jabaru and three Brolgas on the still water, a tiny and interesting frog on the side of the road as we waited our turn to race, and green beauty everywhere. It's not just about the bike you know.

5 comments:

AMR said...

"It's not just about the bike you know."

So true but the bike is such a great instrument to get us to places where we can see things...

Groover said...

What's a Jabaru and Brolgas?

Carol said...

Hi Gorgeous!! I went to Kentville this weekend. Mom's crocuses in the lawn will bloom TOMORROW. I took lovely pictures of snowdrops peeking through the snow by the chimney, and the spring witch hazel flowers. We went to the orchid show - I bought a few plants. My new thing, I guess.. I'm going to email you tomorrow about the web page project.. Talk to you soon !! XXOO

Dee said...

AMR and Groover, seeing, smelling and hearing your surroundings is what make cycling SO much better than driving. I know what grows in gardens I cycle by every day, but have never entered. Why would anyone drive if they can cycle?

Carol, will look for the email.

Mae said...

oooh crocuses!!!!ri xxxooo mae