Monday, April 12, 2010

pasta master

If you are from Queensland the title rhymes. And pay no attention to the date on the photos, my camera is obviously suffering a breakdown of some sort.

I am lucky to know some ladies who treat me very nicely and invite me when they are doing something fun. So when a lovely Italian friend decided we should all learn to make pasta, I got to attend the master class.

Rosie started with 2 kilos of flour. I have never used two kilos of flour at one time for anything in my life.

When the dough was ready we made some macaroni, and a lot of what I would call tagliatelle, egg pasta with a flat shape. If you want to make a lot of fiddly pasta, get the Cartographer stuck into it, they have an infinite capacity for boring piece work.
The other gals mastered the machine to work the dough and then cut it into perfect pasta.
Lots and lots of pasta...
Which was cooked fresh and embellished with the best bolognese sauce ever...
Top lunch, the best pasta I ever tasted. It was silky smooth, and light. With champagne and dessert and a good espresso, it was a lumbering 5 kms home on the bikeway. I had to have a nap, I am not used to such a feed at midday.

Thanks ladies! I am going to hold the next master class, early June? Indian cooking, no jars of paste allowed!

5 comments:

Theresa said...

That is so much pasta! But a great thing to make on your own. We learned in high school, but I haven't been game since then...

Bluenoser said...

That looked good...

-B

Dee said...

I was better than good. I will be shopping for a pasta machine (the hand cranked kind) this weekend so I can make more. The big issue seems to be finding a machine that clamps firmly enough to the table or benchtop. Rosie was using her grandmothers machine, and the clamp was too short and weak, so it kept coming off. With so much labour available we just took turns holding it firmly in place, but I would like one I can use on my own.

Any suggestions welcome...

Bluenoser said...

Now that I've had a second look at that Dee, for a single guy like me that should be x rated. lots of Boobies. But I was only interested in the pasta making mind you...

Wolfville-Roubaix tomorrow.

-B

Dee said...

Well we don't get to check them at the door you know. Rosie and I had on the matronly aprons, to protect the innocent. Anyway, at our ages boobs are Motherly, not sexy ;)