Saturday, July 17, 2010

for Carol


After a lot of bother my sister finally succeeded in getting me some flowers for my birthday. Here they are! A very wintery Australian arrangement. It is really lovely but I think it cost too much. Thanks for thinking of me, maybe you can charge the Atlantic Master Gardeners for them as fee for services rendered! (I made the new website : )

They should last a long time and one of the banksia is new to me (the starburst one on the left). Always something new to see. It is wonderful that the internet makes the world so much smaller for those of us who are far away. Thanks for the gift. I would never buy these myself and they are pretty special.

It is funny to translate my birthday to winter. Yes the weather is only a bit cooler than summer in Nova Scotia, but it is winter with that autumn leaf smell and softer light. This arrangement looks Christmas y to me, but of course Christmas here is gushing tropical blooms and heat. Some things I don't think I'll ever fully adjust to. My birthday used to be summer BBQ and the cottage and the pain of a sunburn. Ice cream cake. The canoe with Gus (the labrador) following in the water, Chaucer (the corgi) in the prow. Now it is a cold start on the bike with a long ride, coffee, my own beautiful place, dinner out with my men. Different, but super.

Thanks for the reminder Carol.



3 comments:

Mae said...

Happy Birthday, Dee!

ps the 'word verification characters' for my reply were 'piles'

Bluenoser said...

Happy Birthday Dee!! Holy crap I go to work for awhile and look what happens... I love the look of your site...

-B

Dee said...

Mae, LMAO I chose that just for you, really.

Blue, see what you missed, you could have had piles...