Monday, February 14, 2011

getting normal

post cyclone Yasi...

It was trashed...
But we have worked hard and slash is gone, grass is mowed and beds are even getting edged,
I weeded and pruned this weekend, as well as spending half a day raking and hauling at the University to get the place a bit presentable for O-week. I have sore muscles I didn't know I even had.
What the heck am I going to make of this? I can't even train.

I only got to the dam for the first time in nearly two weeks today. It was a bit fraught, but I rely on the kindness of strangers to refrain from killing me, and they haven't let me down. You know, a shoulder check, a bit of eye contact and a genuine grin of gratitude will knit you a cycling kit of mithril.

Theresa has posted a fantastic look at the post Yasi situation. Her photos are fresher than mine. see her flicker photos. I stayed home and freaked over my yard rather than getting out and taking photos. Now, almost two weeks after the event the bikeway is still blocked in places, and roads are still narrowed by vegetation, and life is very slowly looking a bit normal.

It is depressing to cycle past the downed trees and browning slash piles. I am slowly returning to familiar places, but they are forever changed. I have to make a confession. I am a bit like the Rainman. I need for it all to be exactly right. I am rattled by the change to my routine. My hands shake as I confront unfamiliar traffic, and a path blocked, and deep gravel across my path. I am worried about the birds. I smell the decay of flesh along the ride and wonder who I have lost. A precious curlew, a dainty wallaby. It all hurts.

Don't worry about the people, we are fine. It is everyone else who is wounded. I feel helpless.


3 comments:

Theresa said...

Good on you for helping out at the uni even though you had so much of your own cleaning up to do. This cyclone was one of the only times I've been grateful that we live in a unit block and don't have a garden - our clean-up was so easy.

Hopefully you get a sense of normal back soon. I know how you feel, but luckily our usual bike path route to uni is unblocked, so we can have a regular morning routine - albeit with a different view along the path that we are used to...

The Old Bag said...

Wishing you the best in your "new normal".

Dee said...

It is getting better all the time. I had a decent ride today, and drivers seem a bit more focussed. Lots of "alternate routes" still required.