Wednesday, March 16, 2011

wildlife rescue


When I rolled out this morning it was looking promising for a decent ride. But before I even got to the end of my street I came across a poor, stunned and bedraggled female supurb fruit dove. I had never seen one before outside of books, so I stopped, planted myself in traffic to protect her and took my JCU polo out of the knapsac. I dropped it on her and scooped her up.

I confess I cried, I was so sad to see such a rare bird so far from home and in strife. This is a rainforest bird far from the rainforest, and I was sick with worry. I got her home and into a box, where she promptly fell asleep. I gave her some berries but she was too tired to care.

I called the local Wildlife Carers and someone came to my house and collected my wee girly. She would recuperate with a number of her own kind, and then be released. Hopefully there will be more fruit in the trees by then. I think she was just weak with hunger.

The government of Australia has given a lump sum to those of us who were affected by the cyclone. I took mine with glee, because I had a plan. I would spend it on things I value and that my taxes don't support. I have given a big chunk to the NQ Wildlife Care mob. Bless them all for doing such an important job out of the goodness of their hearts.

2 comments:

Theresa said...

Great use of cyclone relief money. And good on you for stopping. What a pretty bird - how sad to see it in the street!

Groover said...

Such a heart-warming story... glad you got there before a car or cat could get her...