Tuesday, September 13, 2011

happenings round here

We have been pretty busy. Last Tuesday was Super Tuesday, an annual bike count in Australia, and Townsville was included for the first time. We were in! Scott registered after me but got his shirt in time for the day, and I didn't. Doh. It was waiting when I got home from work. So we stood on a corner from 7am til 9am and counted bikes, and were gratified to count quite a few. Hope I can get the data for a student project, it could be interesting. Hopefully we will have more volunteers next year and cover more territory, but really, we did well this year with 25 of 44 locations covered, and me away til mid August and unable to promote the event til I got back.
Then it was a busy week at work and another 4 gym sessions on top of riding. I have had to cut the kms way back because riding 35 kms before work, going to the gym for an hour and then eating lunch and staying awake all day is really hard. So Saturday I took a full rest day and slept in with Rusty. It was so windy before daybreak that there was no way I was riding. I need to weigh more to keep my bike from skidding around in high winds. Not group ride friendly!

In the afternoon I did ride over to a friends to get some bananas (that rich mans treat) and admire the orchids. These are all local natives:

Here is Bob sharing the (literal!) wealth and cutting me some bananas. I also got enough chopped banana for a batch of muffins to enjoy while these ripen.So Sunday I was raring to go for a ride, but it was one of those days. We got to the top of Hervey's Range and it was 5 degrees.
At least the bushfires hadn't reached the race venue.
I was driving support, and the race was delayed for more than an hour due to an "administrative oversight" (we all screw up sometimes). I thought I would fill the time with a roll, but the wind chill was about zero so I played the tropical flower card and didn't ride my favorite rolling road. *sigh* You always regret not riding.
My bike suffered the indignity of being a sign holder!
Permit fetched and ready to go.
After the race we had to hurry home because we were in cooking mode and it would take all day to get ready for a dinner party. Here is my friend Kiran admiring a rare feast of fish cakes, baked beans and both blueberry and apple pie!! Honestly, we were on the hop from 11 am to get this all cooked for a 7 pm dinner party.

I was delighted that my Aussie mates loved the food. Kiran doesn't count because she is a Bluenoser, so it was a given she would love it!
And so it goes and another busy week ahead, but there is always a glass of red and a beautiful sunset at the end of every day, and life is pretty sweet.

No comments: