Friday, September 16, 2011

my heart aches

Vale my Rusty. He was always the good dog, so he didn't get as much attention as Stanley, the bad dog. I am glad he lasted more than two years after Stanley died, because he got a chance to be top dog and sleep wherever he wanted, including right up close to me. He died well. Wednesday evening he was full of beans and playing ball, then he sickened in the night and the best Vet in the world visited the next day and it was done. 16 years old, riddled with cancer, he found joy in living til the last. I am so sad, I have not been without a dog for a very long time. The house and garden are so empty. We mourn his passing. He was 16.

6 comments:

Mae said...

Darling Rusty. He was a good dog, he had a long and happy life, he was loved and he knew it.

Groover said...

I'm sorry to hear! He will live on in your heart and memories!

Ant said...

Hi Dee, really sorry to hear about Rusty passing on. He really couldn't have asked for a better life or better companions.

I know it's an awful decision to have to make, but don't for a second doubt that you didn't do the right thing by him.

I wish all dogs had the love and attention that Rusty had.

Dee said...

Thanks for all the kind words. It was time and we knew it, so that softens the loss a fair bit. Eventually we will have another dog (or probably two) but we will take a break and recover. In the mean time we will be free to travel around and cycle new places, and that will be nice.

The Old Bag said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss -- their leaving leaves a hole in one's heart. He's so lucky to have had a good life with you for so long!

Dee said...

ta OB. Now that somebody has suddenly cranked on the summer heat I am relieved he isn't suffering it. I am also amazed at how true my prediction of a life without dogs = a life with very little housework was. I am at loose ends!