Saturday, October 22, 2011

spring things

Well there has been very little cycling in paradise, and that is a shame. I am officially finished my 20 hours of gym training, and while I am trim and strong, I have lost a ton of endurance. There is no substitute for time on the bike. I will start to ease in some longer rides this week, with the hope of building up to my former norm of 250kms a week by mid November.

I volunteer most years to be a client to a Sport and Exercise Science 3rd year student, and I take the task very seriously. That is why I had to step off the bike. I couldn't give up the gym because the student can't get a good result without me. Anyway, I really enjoy it, and this was the best student ever. He caused me pain, and nurtured my inner mongrel, and made me stronger.

I haven't a clue how long it takes to recover from over training, but I am sufficiently bored and frustrated to be over it. If I need a nap, I'll take a nap. Training is normal for me and I need to train. I want my life back, even if I end up sleeping through a fair bit of it.

The weather has been hot, then cool, dry and then unexpectedly wet. Spring is heading into summer on a twisty path. Summer is coming though, and the first taste of summer, local mango, is just around the corner. A few years ago we cut down the big mango in our yard because it took up a ton of space, produced very little fruit, and we had this in the parkland at the end of our street:

Mango is a common shade tree around the city, and I hope they are always there because they form an important part of "the commons". The fruit is there for the taking.
Just starting to blush, but green and hard so it isn't too damaged by the fall to the ground. Actually, Scott is such a good picker that he caught all but one as it fell.
We are not greedy, six is a good feed, and they will all be ready at once. Can't wait to make a mango salad, and just enjoy the ripe fruit as a decadent nosh eaten over the sink, juice dripping everywhere.
The financial world is going to hell in a handbasket they tell us, but at least I have food from my yard and my parks. All this for free. Makes me feel a bit safer.

No comments: