Sunday, March 25, 2012

luck of the draw

Don't know if a small tornado in Townsville made the international news much (although a few of my German friends checked up on me). We had a big wind and a lot of rain, and there were trees down between me and the Uni, so I certainly knew it was bad. There is no damage at all on my street, about 4 streets to the west the trees start to show damage and roads were blocked with a few trees that were ripped right out. Today though was the first time we had a chance to drive up a suburb or two and see ground zero. We wanted to check on a friends place. I saw the news, but the reality was surreal.

I was glad to be in the van, because everyone is rattled and rubber necking and this is no place to be on your bike. My friends street:
The house next door. Holes punched through windows and walls. What sort of force punches a round hole in glass without shattering the whole window? I shudder to think.

 This was a leafy suburb, and even in today's overcast it was so stark and empty

 Many roofs torn off, but a few houses lost it all but a few internal walls. How nobody was killed, it is a miracle
So there is random fate. I live so close, and all that happened was a loss of power for a day. The wet season is nearly over for another year, and I think we are all glad to see it go. I am optimistically scrubbing off mold like it is over for another year. Some people have a whole lot more to do to put this wet season behind them.

2 comments:

Mae said...

Thanks for those photos. Of course, that storm was news in Cairns and I'd seen photos but yours seem somehow more real. Things can change in a minute. Yes, very very lucky nobody died.

Theresa said...

We didn't even lose power! I didn't know there was anything other than a windy night until we were driving in to uni that morning. We went through Aitkenvale, because Andy thought the back way might be flooded, and all of a sudden it looked like a tornado went through. Then we heard about it on the news. So scary!