Wednesday, October 24, 2012

on running

I don't like to run. It is hard and it makes my legs hurt. However, it makes me stronger and improves my cycling, as well as helping keep my bone density high, so I am determined to get running into my routine 3 times a week. Today was one of those madly windy mornings, and it was a running day, so I left the bike home and walked and ran to work, then ran most of the way home, making about 7kms running out of 11 kms travel for the day. My legs are really tired and aching. Good effort for me.

And now photos. My local, native hoya hanging over the fence and blooming like mad to celebrate the start of summer. It gladdened my heart as I headed out this morning, what a wonderful thing.


The run home was interrupted by a black cockatoo right over my head enjoying gum nuts. 

It isn't a great shot but considering how I was travelling at that point, a nice distraction. I ran like a sack of rocks today. It does get better, just don't ever stop. I am registered for a duathlon this Sunday of a 2.5 km run, 10 km bike ride, and 2.5 km run. I have no idea how I will cope with shoes and transition and stuff, it is my first multi sport race. At least I don't have to swim!! I must be nuts.

2 comments:

Theresa said...

A little bit nuts! I am trying to start running by easing in, using the Couch-to-5k app. I'm in week 3, and I'm walking around like a 95 year old with arthritis! It makes my legs so sore! But it's a good thing to do, so thanks for this post to remind me of all the benefits. (Plus, cockatoo!)

Dee said...

I did the couch to 5k starting just before Christmas last year. it is a great program. I had Laura from the National health service of the UK to jolly me along. I listened to her on Wednesday because I needed a bit of guidance. The evil thing about running is that is gets easy eventually, so you get complacent and slack off and then it is back to square one in very short order. Talk about a life sentence!