Wednesday, October 31, 2012

sustainability

Cycling, or any exercise I suppose, is such a tease. You take it up and everything you do makes you better. Weight drops off, you get faster and go farther and feel like superman.The motivation is strong because the payoff is so obvious. Then time passes and the Great Plateau  is achieved and it seems like it is over. Except it isn't really, because you are still stronger and fitter than most people, but the reward isn't so great any more, you had your dash and what are you going to do.

 Smart cyclists start doing hills, but I hate hills, so I started running. I have made Wednesday my mid-week running day by getting a drive to work and running 5.2 kms home. That way I cannot avoid it, and with one run firmly planted in the week I hope I will be motivated to do two more somewhere. Haven't got that bedded down yet, but I am optimistic.

here I realize there are two people wearing cycling kit. guess who.
We are used to a Sunday race day, so with road season well over it seemed like a good idea to do a Duathlon for some running motivation, and a ride thrown in. We got up very early and rode out to the dam for the race start. We were the only people who rode, which I thought was weird. We were also the only cyclists running, which means we dressed funny by runners standards. Well whatever. I figured if I wore my tribal kit I would be motivated to not let the side down, and it helped.
Yay! It is over, this really sucked!
I would like to say I smashed it, but I didn't. It was way shorter than the 5km run/10 km ride advertised, which normally would have annoyed me, but I was just grateful it was over. Blah. The best part of the event for me was the 18 kms to and from the start.

And now some pictures! I still take a photo every day, but if I don't get it posted the moment seems to pass. Rantwick has been begging for autumn foliage photos, but it is too late here for the end of winter leaf drop which is similar, so instead I have shots of early summer blooms.
 Jacaranda at the Uni. They do much better in the sub-tropics
 I adore Poinciana, they scream Christmas season to me now. Beats snow! This is the home stretch to the dam, I use the road but there is a bike/walkway too. We have it good here for the most part. 
 These make a great cut flower too.
Finally, at home a tomato that sprouted unbidden before we left for a month of the dry season is so impressive that it has gotten a bit of love. Few bike tubes get wasted when you have a big garden. You can see how poor and dry the soil is, and this thing is just powering along. I have a few fruit set aside for seed, this is a keeper. The tomatoes in my pampered veggie patch were an epic fail.

5 comments:

RANTWICK said...

Hey Dee,

I've never been to your blog before... I like it. I also like that you want to enter my contest; Australia will be a new distance record for me, I think!

You can email your entry to rantwick at gmail dawt com , or, if you like, tell me which of the above pics to steal and I'll just do that...

Yer Pal,

RANTWICK

Tim Joe said...

Tomatoes will break your heart. Then the bugs get them. But since the price of tomatoes around here is about one dollar U.S. each I keep trying. Another friend of mine is leaning toward the Darwinian method: scatter the seeds and wait and see.

Those run photos look like you are the only competitor. Are you certain it wasn't all just a dream?

tj





Dee said...

Rantwick - I have emailed. I love seasons and trees and this is great fun.

TJ, I used to be an awesome gardener. I come from a long line of horticulturally gifted individuals, but sometimes I struggle in the tropics. There is nothing that cleans up soil borne pests and diseases like several months of frozen solid. That would be expensive here, so I am pretty excited to get a gift of tomatoes on my footpath. Don't give up. Not to be indelicate, but I understand that seeds that have 'passed through' do really well. I have a friend who used to work the solid waste fields nearby, and he had a ton of tomatoes to give away.

Tim Joe said...

I...just a moment...can't stop giggling...OK. Ahem.

"Passed through?" THAT is one gardening tip that you can get a lot of mileage out of at a cookout.

Especially if you're the one who brought the salad.

Thanks so much Dee. Do you have a copyright on that or am I free to start (yuk) spreading it around?

Your fellow naturalist (har har) Tim Joe (King of the Compost) Comstock

Dee said...

TJ, you can patent that if you like. Spread it wide. And don't forget to pee on your lemon tree, another horticultural secret from the tropics. Gee I should 'monitize' this blog and charge for this stuff.