Sunday, December 23, 2012

what's in bloom

I was talking with my sister on skype earlier today, and as gardeners will she asked what was in bloom in my garden. So here are a few things in bloom...
some heliconia are just starting, after being cut back to nothing at the start of winter

this is the sorry remains of a portulaca which nearly perished in the heat and humidity. It will get crowded out by a volunteer periwinkle anyway.

purple velvet in the garden, my favorite! Tibouchina is just coming on. Tibouchina 'Alstonville' (Tibouchina lepidota) is a NSW native, but seems pretty happy in the tropics too

Periwinkle grows wherever you let it, the dear thing.

OK, less impressive and hard to photograph when you are being savaged by mosquitoes is my bromeliad Pitcarnia. I am not sure which specific cultivar this is, but they are fairly rare and mine is a satisfying mound of leaves just setting bloom.

another big bromeliad sets bloom. I forget what it is called but Mae will tell us...

self seeded cosmos just coming on

these heliconia rostrata are always impressive

the big crab claw heliconia are a great cut flower, but very scrappy in the garden right now. They should have been pruned to the ground but I never got around to it, so I will just cut them down as I harvest the blooms.
I believe this is a Cassia var queenslandica, which is a local native. It makes a wall of elegant yellow cascading outside my bedroom window and is one of my favorite trees.

So there you go Carol, now Mom will be able to see what we were talking about on skype! I just love technology.

2 comments:

Carol said...

Thanks, Dee! Not quite like being there, but certainly the next best thing. I am in love with the Cassia..

Mae said...

I know what that bromeliad is called but I'm guessing how to spell it! It's an Aechmea Blanchetiana.