Saturday, September 14, 2013

Spring has arrived

Now that Izzy is ours we can spend up big at the Vets to try and clear up the canine lupis on her nose. So far I think she is looking a bit better. I don't like the cortisone treatment though, and will be glad to see the end of that. It has knocked her around and she isn't her usual bright self at all.
and so it begins...
 Meanwhile things continue apace in the world of cycling at JCU. I finally seem to have gotten the pumps in my workstations repaired. I gave up on the supplier and had a local manufacturer replace all the hoses with proper stainless steel clad unpinchable ones, which is what was promised in the first place but never delivered. My next workstations will be fully locally made. Dumb southerners...
A happy customer. He is newly arrived from Europe and takes this kind of thing for granted.

The typical student bike, a cheap department store mountain bike. He seemed keen when I told him we would give him 20 bucks for it when he leaves, and keep it going.
 And then it was Super Tuesday! A day of counting bikes from 7am til 9am. Love doing this, such fun. About 60% of cyclists past my spot asked if I was OK or needed help. How very nice. And about 90% said good morning.

.

Super Tuesday pretty much marks the start of spring here. We have local native golden orchids in bloom. My yard is as brown and dormant as I have every seen it. I guess everything was exhausted after a couple of years with no real dry season. 

so cheery!!! Blooms rise up out of a patch of brown.
 My Aussie family has been visiting the old country and sent me some magic baking powder when they got home. All you Canucks, check out the perfect fit in a bottle cage. Scott discovered this when he picked up the gift from the Uni. This empty one is now a stylish Canadian statement as well as a holder of tubes and tools.
 If you have to go vote, go in style and enjoy the ride. I numbered every box on every ballot and remain unrepresented in my local area. I thought I was so normal!
And then there was a trip to the beach. I love it when it heats up.



bravely getting their tootsies all wet. Sheila won't pee on the grass if it has been sprinkled the night before. The wet season will be interesting.

Izzy is now utterly ruined, she jumped up and had a lie in my bed!

Just another beautiful morning with a special gathering of the pelicans

A bold little lorikeet at work
 That's it from me!

3 comments:

Mae said...

You have already used a whole packet of baking powder?!? You must be the Baking King and Queen. Your Aynsley Cake plate was gorgeous at Alice's garden party, the perfect backdrop for fancy mini cupcakes. I brought it home, and it arrived safely even though the suitcase didn't survive the trip. Thanks for putting up this blog post, made my day!

BoaB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BoaB said...

Not quite Mae- that was the one we brought home last year and have been nursing along. It is "the best" baking powder and now with a replacement and reserves, let the tea biscuit frenzy commence (and dumplings, and pancakes, etc..) I also found this website which is a scanned copy of the Magic Baking Powder Cookbook- http://www.klodet.com/magic/magic.htm I can still see this in Joan's kitchen- I think Chris has the original copy.