Tuesday, December 31, 2013

merry holidays!

Some people wonder if it is possible to have a 'normal' Christmas season in the tropics. Well it is once you accept that this is the new normal.
have a seat under this palm tree
and look for activity in the Bay while you have a coffee...
We have some traditions, like hanging up Matthias' retired bicycle as our decoration. This bike was worn out by a series of trainees from all over Germany and I always think of them when we light it up.

We find it amusing to dress up the dogs for photos, but then the costumes have to be hidden away before they get destroyed! 


doh. Izzy

just you wait... Sheila
We got a bunch of friends together for way too much food and a quiet bike ride around the local streets looking at lights. This is another tradition now, we can't seem to get by without it.
that's me in the green lights


just because it is the tropics doesn't mean we can't have over the top light displays.
 Our newest tradition is a daily walk at day break. Greyhounds wake up ready for action. The rewards are great though, this is Christmas morning.
These holidays I seem to have perfected doing very little. We had a full Christmas dinner after a very quiet day. Love a big turkey spread. And rum balls, Australians have rum balls. I soak my fruit in rum for a couple of weeks so they are super rummy.

everybody on a laptop, dogs sleeping, the usual...
flowers from the Canadians is another tradition! They smell wonderful.
It has gotten really hot, 35 yesterday, looks about the same today, so I am sitting in the air conditioning so my dogs can stay cool, and I am a bit bored but at least I am blogging! I wish I had gone for a ride today but by knees and joints seem a bit inflamed by this heat, so I didn't. And I am up to week 5 in the annual Couch to 5 k attempt to become a runner, and I really don't dare. Bummer.

Thursday I have to cycle though because it is back to work, which will be a bit odd after a few weeks of slouching around. Hoping to get back in the habit of a long ride before going to the office. Glad that I can cycle with a dodgy knee. 

It has been a year that turned out well for all of us at Casa Hound. Work enough for everyone, good health all around, two lovely dogs who needed a home and some special attention have found their place. Hope we do as well in 2014. Hope you all do well too.



2 comments:

Mae said...

Happy New Year to everyone at Hound Hall. We just got back from our traditional New Years Eve party with the usual crew, all neighbours. No need for taxis. We gathered at 6.00 and toasted New Year in Kiriibati (8.00 local time) followed by New Year in Auckland an hour later and then we all went home at 10.00. We are babysitting the grandpug because Tess has gone to Port Douglas with friends. may everyone who reads this have a healthy and happy 2014.

Theresa said...

Happy 2014 to you and S and the two pups! I hope your year is as shiny as your lit-up bike :)